Sunday 11 March 2012

Porcelain Raft - Unless You Speak From The Heart

Taken from his latest album, Strange Weekend, ‘Unless You Speak From The Heart’ is the latest single to be dropped. For reference, I’m a fan of Porcelain Raft, but I wasn’t really feeling this one. It’s in sync with his style enough, the 4/4 simple beats, the repetitive chord progression and the atmospheric reverb over the airy synth. However, I didn’t think it had that much flavour or stand out moments to make it truly memorable. There is a slight hint that Mauro Remiddi’s trying to be more consistent as a musician, and appeal more to people who like Yeasayer and other mainstream downbeat electro artists like that, but in doing that, I don’t feel like I’m listening to a Porcelain Raft track. As is the way with a lot of debut proper releases from artists, they often decrease in quality, and seem very clean and very ‘professional’. Unfortunately this just feels a bit over produced and plain. Even the vocals are repetitive and uncaptivating. Sadly not a fan of this one. It was okay, but nothing I’ll be returning to, I’m afraid.

Eliot Humphreys 



No comments:

Post a Comment