Tuesday 22 May 2012

Savages - Husbands


It’s hard to believe that this is only Savages debut single due purely to the amount of buzz they’ve been attracting recently. Hailed as “the ones to watch” by a dozen music blogs, clearly a lot of people think this London four-piece are good and this single certainly proves them right.

Most noticeable about this song in my opinion is lead singer Jehnny Beth’s voice, which is reminiscent of legendry singers such as Siouxsie Sioux, particularly the way she varies her voice between eerie warbles and plain bonkers shrieks and whispers. The song itself is ferocious, the drums and guitar seamlessly relentless, rising and falling before reaching a crescendo where it all comes together. Despite lasting 3.03 I found myself disappointed to find it had ended so soon, leading to me playing it over and over again, just to feel the exhilaration that the song gave me. If this is Savages first attempt, then I am most definitely looking forward to things that are yet to come.

Listen to Husbands here via soundcloud

Grace Barber-Plentie

No comments:

Post a Comment